Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Oh, how does your garden grow?

The girls thought it would be fun to have a garden this year. I agreed and had visions of a nice, small, square garden with one or two green pepper plants in it. Well, those of you who know my husband know he doesn't do anything small! It all began one weekend in May with a not-so-small portion of our backyard being tilled up. When I came home one Saturday, he and the girls had gone to the store and bought green peppers, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, cantaloupe, pumpkin and carrot seeds. And, they bought broccoli plants! I thought it was just hilarious, but they were having a blast! I must admit that over the past month, it has been absolutely no work for me and the girls, but my husband has devoted a lot of time making sure the garden grew.

Today, it proved to be worth the work! The girls picked their very first grape tomato! They are so excited. There are lots of peppers almost ready to be picked too. The funniest part of the garden is the broccoli. I have never seen broccoli being grown so it never occurred to me how small they have to start. So, I am including this picture for the rest of you to see what I mean! (Can you see it in the center of
the picture below?)

Anyway, if you live near us, I am sure you will be getting some green peppers & tomatoes this summer! Hopefully everything else grows too!

5 comments:

Heather V said...

I am jealous! I would love a garden! There is nothing better (to me) than fresh veggies straight out of the garden still warm from the sun!

Carrie said...

Your garden looks great! Kudos to you for letting Chris take the responsibility for this project.

Sam said...

Who knew Chris had a green thumb! How fun for the girls! If they love it, there is a great book you should look for for ideas for next year. It is called Dinner from Dirt and has all kinds of fun plans for planting gardens for specific things (like a pizza garden or a salsa garden or a spaghetti garden) and it is very fun and kid-friendly! Miss you guys lots!

Teresa =) said...

Well, well, well...complimenting my blog all this time and not telling me YOU have one??!! Shame on you, Shannon!!

I just read EVERY post...whew!! Love the pics of the girls...people always tell me my kids are photogenic, they should take a look at your beauties!!

Looking forward to a post about how well Chris did at bowling last night...

Teresa =)

Teresa =) said...

Shannon -

I've "tagged" your blog! Go to www.continuingthejourney.blogspot.com to see what it's all about!!

Teresa =)