Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tug-of-War

Today was the much-anticipated Field Day! Last year, I think it was in the 90's; this year, the weather was beautiful! It was about 75 and breezy. The kids all had a great time and were not too stinky :) Rachel and I always go over to the school toward the end of the day so we can watch the tug-of-war competition. It is always so funny to see 25 pairs of skinny arms & legs pulling with all their might on a rope. It almost always ends with one team falling over like dominoes and the other team flying backward to victory because of the slack created by the other team. It is quite a sight to see! (Taylor is the one in the middle with the tan shorts pulling on the rope with all her might and skinny legs!)


Taylor made me proud today. No matter how much the girls fight at home, moments like today make me realize they really do love each other! As soon as Taylor saw us this afternoon, she reached out for Rachel and told her she had bought some popcorn to share. Rachel & I quickly went and bought a sno-cone and headed back up to the room. Taylor saw Rachel and yelled across the very noisy room for Rachel to come sit with her. Keep in mind, I did not see another sibling anywhere in the room! Taylor had saved Rachel a spot and let her sit with her and her friends. Rachel felt so important and all of Taylor's friends were so kind to her. After I took a picture of Taylor and her friends, they all wanted to take another one with Rachel in it. It is a cute picture and I know Rachel felt loved. That makes me happy.


This picture is of our neighbor and Taylor's BFF, Maddi. They have been friends for four years now. Which, in a lifespan isn't a long time, but when you are 8 years old, that is half your life! Unfortunately Maddi & her family are moving out of state in July. Taylor is already very sad about it. Dr. Seuss has a famous quote that goes like this: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Taylor will have to take those great memories with Maddi and smile because it was a great time in her young life! And while Taylor may not be able to put how she is feeling into words, I have been there and know how sad she is going to be.


Just so I don't end this blog on a sad note, here is a picture of Rachel & her ballet teacher. Rachel took her a bouquet of flowers and a handmade card today for their last class. It was very sweet! And for those of you who know Rachel very well, be very impressed that she is not pulling away from her teacher's hug! That shows you how much Rachel liked her!

No comments: