Saturday, March 1, 2008

Wax Museum

The 2nd grade class at Taylor's school hosts a "wax museum" each year for their families. This is a pretty big deal for them. The students begin by choosing someone that had an impact on American history. They have to research who they want to be (we went to the library and poured over books for an hour!), have the person approved by the teacher, read the book several times and write a report. And all of that is prior to the hard part! After they write the report then they have to memorize it, make a costume & props. Each child makes an invitation and mails it to their parent. Like I said, it is a BIG deal!



Taylor chose Pocahontas, of course -- the Indian Princess. She and I found a costume online that looked relatively easy for her daddy to make :) Then we went shopping and found all the materials needed. Chris did an awesome job on it and Taylor loved it. She and I made the jewelry to go with the outfit.

The big day finally came. Taylor was so excited. Chris ended up surprising her by being able to attend and I believe that was the highlight of the day for her. The way the museum worked was that each child had to sit at their desk like a wax figure and when someone pushed their homemade button on their desk they came to life. So, through the course of the event, Taylor probably said her speech about 30 times. Now, just imagine -- there are 22 children in her class and I believe every mother & father, sibling and grandparent was there. It was packed -- and hot -- and stinky -- and wonderful :) I'll admit, I got a little teary-eyed when I watched her recite her speech. I was a proud mommy!



Taylor said her speech by memory every single time except when I recorded her....but believe me, she knew it!








2 comments:

Sam said...

SO FUN! Her teacher had such a great idea! Taylor looked just perfect - I bet it was super fun. Alex came home Friday with a note saying he can/should dress up like an indian for one of their class's "Michigan Days" this Wednesday - now I am scrambling for a costume!

Sam said...

I want to see pictures and video of Chris doing the costume. Needle and thread oh my! Jeff